Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Surviving the Riviera floods


So! I had a surprise planned for you this week. But then everything changed when the French Riviera was hit by a massive storm and subsequent severe floods everywhere. You may wonder what a picture of Momo and pink cupcakes has got to do with anything. I'll get to that.

Anyway, my family and I were lucky as we just about managed to stop the water from coming in through our front door, but so many people lost everything. It's heartbreaking to see all the destruction around us. I drove past the golf course thinking:

"boy oh boy, where are all the rich people in this area going to play golf from now on?"

Seriously though, parts of my village are devastated, people have died, there are trees strewn across formerly immaculate lawns, there is mud everywhere. We are all tired and sad.

One would think now that the Côte d'Azur has lost its superficial prettiness, its profound ugliness would be overwhelming.

I fear that would most certainly be the case, if it weren't for the great spirit of solidarity surrounding us at this time. I mean, I had never MET most of the other families living in my building.

I saw so many faces I'd never seen before as we were all working together to divert the floods out of our hallway and into the garage (yay! Screw those Porsches and Four-by-Fours!). We actually talked to each other. Don't worry, give it a week or two and it'll all go back to normal and we'll avoid all human contact and spend our evenings online or watching telly again...reducing all human contact to an angry honk or two during rush hour.

Come to think of it, people aren't even honking anymore. It's bizarre, everyone's so subdued. This really doesn't feel like the Côte d'Azur I used to love and hate so much!

Have I ever mentioned I hate this place? Which brings me to the surprise I said I had for you this week. But with everything that's been going on, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little longer until my surprise will be revealed...Shame though. I was going to announce it with these pink cupcakes. But they were given to families in need instead. And to Momo of course.



Sorry guys!

Bye for now,

Gwen

PS Don't worry about the palm trees. Even a meteor coming in at 60,000mph couldn't uproot those fuckers.



No comments:

Post a Comment